Find a Halifax Psychologist at Cornerstone
Cornerstone Psychological Services offers counselling and therapy for children (10+), teens, adults, couples, and families.
Our psychologists and therapists are flexible in their approach and will tailor interventions to the specific needs of their therapy clients.
All of our psychologists use therapies that are logically-informed, scientifically-based, and time-sensitive. We offer a safe and comfortable environment at our Halifax psychology office, and aim to provide our therapy clients with the kinds of experiences that promote meaningful change.
Our psychological services include:
- Anxiety & Phobias
- Trauma & Abuse
- Emotional problems
- Attachment related concerns
- Couples or marriage counseling
- Relationship issues
- School related concerns
- Behavior difficulties
- Adolescent / Teen problems
- Family issues
- Loss & Grief
- Life Stress & Adjustment problems
- Parenting concerns
- Separation & divorce
Please take some time to look through our website. If you have any questions or concerns about psychological services, or would like to book an appointment with one of our Halifax psychologists, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Amid the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, we have carefully considered how to balance the need for social distancing, while still being able to provide the very best psychological services to our current and future clients.
Telepsychology includes psychological services provided via secure internet technology. Such services are offered in place of face-to-face sessions, in situations where in-person sessions are impossible or inconvenient to arrange. Telepsychology has the same intention or purpose as conventional psychotherapy. It involves arranging an appointment time between the client and the psychological service provider (therapist) when both parties can interface from a computer, smartphone, or iPad, using a webcam and an internet connection.
We have carefully researched the options available. This involved significant consultation with IT security specialists, considering federal and provincial regulations pertinent to the protection of your Personal Health Information, and reviewing professional standards and recommendations for psychologists providing telepsychology. We have chosen to use SecureVideo.com for our current telepsychology platform. It offers one of the most secure options at the present time, including a 256-bit AES-encrypted signaling and media stream. This service integrates the reliable and widely used Zoom videoconferencing engine, with some additional security features. Please contact us for more information about the telepsychology services we offer.
As of June 27, we will begin to resume in-person therapy sessions on a limited basis. Priority will be given to higher need clients who are less likely to benefit from telepsychology sessions, as well as current clients who would prefer in-person sessions. The decision to offer in-person sessions will also be determined by individual psychologists, based on their comfort level, health status, and other relevant factors. Telepsychology sessions will continue to be offered to clients who are not high need or would prefer the online option.
We have taken numerous steps to enhance clinic safety and cleanliness and have put policies and procedures in place that are consistent with the Nova Scotia Health Protection Act Order and recommendations by our regulatory Board.
When attending an in-person session at our clinic, we would ask you to do the following:
- Bookings and payments should be done online. Please contact email@example.com for more information and indicate if you would like to meet with your therapist in-person.
- You will be asked to answer COVID-19 screening questions, 24-48hrs before your appointment time. You will also be required to sign a consent to have your name recorded and potentially released to Public Health, for the purpose of contact tracing in the event of a suspected or positively identified COVID-19 case. Anyone accompanying you to the office must consent to the same.
- Please wait outside or in your vehicle until your exact session time. This will minimize the number of people waiting in the reception area.
- Please bring your own mask to enter the premises and while you are in common areas, including the reception, hallway, and bathroom.
- Use the provided hand sanitizer to disinfect your hands upon arrival. Your psychologist will also briefly ask you some COVID-19 screening questions. If you have one or more symptoms on the day of your appointment, the session will end, and you will be advised to call 811.
- While in the office space, practice social distancing by staying at least 2 meters (6ft) apart from clinicians, staff, and other clients. Masks can be removed once you are in the psychologist’s office (seated 2 meters from each other).
By following the above, you assist us in providing a safe transition to limited in-person sessions. Let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
Please note that under the present circumstances, we are unable to use our regular phone line, voice messages will be infrequently checked, and our fax line will not always be open to receive messages. Email is the best way to communicate: firstname.lastname@example.org.
These are unprecedented and uncertain times. Know that we are committed to our current and future clients, as well as to providing the same high-quality mental health services we are known for. We look forward to continuing to help our clients overcome whatever challenges they face and achieve their personal goals in the months and years to come.
Brad M. Peters
Cornerstone Psychological Services
2045 Harvard Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia